Are you interested in sharing your thoughts and opinions with others? If yes, you may wish to learn how to set up a blog for beginners. A weblog (blog) is a special type of website that displays entries and posts in reverse chronological order with the most recent ones appearing at the top of the page. There are several blogging services that you can have up and running without any technical expertise. To set up a blog, follow the steps below;
Step 1. Define your Niche
It is important to decide on the theme or subject you intend to cover. You need to determine your audience based on your interests and equally decide on a topic. You can start to blog to keep in touch with friends and family, to create a platform for your profession or to create an extension of your business.
Step 2. Name Your Blog
There is no limit to the name you can give your blog as you can name it according to yourself or business. There is no limit to what your blog’s URL or web address can be. The name should only be memorable, short and easy to spell.
Step 3. Get a Domain Name and a Web hosting Package.
When you are ready to take your data into your hands and run your blog, it is time to find a good web hosting company to host your web content. In the year 2015, below represents the top 5 rated web hosting companies that you can use for web hosting services;
(i) Dreamhost – https://www.dreamhost.com/
(ii) Hostgator – http://www.hostgator.com/
(iii) Bluehost – https://www.bluehost.com/
(iv) Linode – https://www.linode.com/
(v) A Small Orange – https://asmallorange.com/
– Head over to any of the above-preferred web hosting companies and select a hosting plan of your choice. Example- Suppose you are using Hostgator, the hosting plan can be; Hatchling Plan, Baby Plan or Business Plan.
– After that, register the domain that you found in the first step.
– Follow the remaining automated steps to complete the purchase.
Step 4. Choose the Blogging Platform
There exist many different companies that will help you create and maintain your blog. When looking for the best software to use, consider factors such as;
– The design tools such as templates, plugins/widgets, etc.
– The tracking/publishing tools such as dashboard, emails, archives, etc
– Software/Hosting – Whether free, paid or an included package
– Ease of use -Drag and Drop, Free Trials/Demo, Social messaging, etc.
– The technical support/help such as Tutorials, Forums, FAQs, Email Forms, etc
According to reviews and ranking, below are the most common blogging platforms to get you started.
STEPS TO SETTING UP THE BLOG
Case: Suppose You Are Using WordPress and Hostgator
- Set up an account with your preferred web hosting company.
- After setting up the account, you will get an email that gives you a User Name and Password. Use these credentials to log into the Control Panel of your account.
- After logging in the Control Panel area, Under Software/Services, choose “Fantastico De Luxe” then select “WordPress” at the right side of the pop-up menu.
- Click the “WordPress” option, and then double click “New Installation.”
- Set the domain, the Admin Name and the Password, and the email settings.
- Click on “Finish Installation.”
- Using your username and password, open the back end admin side of your WordPress blog and log in.
- You now have a new blog, and you can start adding a new post and publishing your content.